In the face of climate change, mothers are an increasingly powerful force in our communities. We are willing to fight for a swift, just, and complete transition off fossil fuels. In NYS, this has resulted in some important wins.
The Wins and Updates!
A WIN in the Adirondacks! The Keene Community Organizing Team (COT) convinced their Town Board to pass a resolution calling for a moratorium on the Bakken Oil Trains. Way to go Keene team!!!!
- And these moms aren't stopping! In the New Year, they plan to connect with mothers and community members in towns along Lake Champlain in order to get more town board resolutions on the Bakken oil trains. Email the ADK Team: ADKmothersoutfront@gmail.com to find out more!
- [Keene] Next team meeting: Friday, January 6th, 6pm, Keene Valley Library. All are welcome! RSVP here
A WIN in Brooklyn! Mothers and youth, organizing with our partner El Puente, turned out in force to support the coalition that moved the New York City City Council to commit $160,000,000 to make Bushwick Inlet Park a reality for the communities of Greenpoint and Williamsburg.
“Mothers Out Front and El Puente turned out with music and dancers to give us the heartbeat we needed to rally in the street and to tell our city government that we were not going away. The energy of that rally showed that we were all one neighborhood. Without them, we could not have represented the true spirit of our neighborhood.” - Scott Fraser, active member of Friends of Bushwick Inlet Park, the group leading this effort.
- Want to get involved? Email Virginia Ribot: email@example.com
In the Southern Tier: The air quality permits for the Dominion New Market Project have still not been issued. This is a huge win for the Southern Tier mothers and community members along this gas infrastructure project route. You can ACT to support their efforts to stop this project. Click here to find out how!
- [Horseheads] Next meeting: January 5th, 7pm, Sullivanville Methodist Church. RSVP here
- [Corning] Next meeting January 5th, 9:30am, Better Way Office, South Bridge Street. RSVP here
- In the Finger Lakes: The Finger Lakes Team has decided to work on stopping the expansion of the Borger Compressor Station (part of the Dominion New Market Project) as their first campaign. They are already undertaking air quality measurements. These mothers are also organizing a bus to the Women's March on Washington on January 21st. Click here to sign up!
In Rochester: The Rochester Community Organizing Team and the Bakken Team are organizing to move local town and school boards to sign on to a letter calling for a federal ban on the oil trains. Click here to learn more!
In the Hudson Valley: A local community organizing team of mothers is forming and they need you. Email Eva Thaddeus, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- [Croton] House Party, January 14th, 1:30pm - 3:00pm. email Eva: email@example.com for more information!
On Long Island: On Long Island we would thank all of our new supporters and volunteers who have been helping to connect us with mothers and working to make changes in our communities. Last week we had our first house party. Welcome Long Island moms! There are many more planned in the beginning of the new year. Keep an eye out for our Long Island e-newsletters coming to your inboxes soon. Email Shameika Hanson at Shameika.Hanson@mothersoutfront.org on how to get involved. Take a moment to like our Facebook page @MothersOutFrontLI to stay up date on events, meetings and more ways for you to connect!
Women’s March on Washington, January 21st, 2017
- Mothers Out Front has endorsed this historic march on January 21st and Mothers from Massachusetts, New York, and Virginia are planning to attend. Soon we will be posting information on our website about our Mothers Out Front plan. To stay up to date on the march itself, go to this website.
While we deeply value the work that went into this list of wins, we mothers are pragmatists! We know that there is so much more to do, especially in the face of climate change and an incoming climate-change denying administration. Please join our existing band of determined mothers and work with us to ensure a healthy, fair and just future for our children, grandchildren and for many more generations to come.
There are many many ways to contribute to growing our movement.
- Want to start a team in your community to push for your local officials to act on climate? Find 2 friends who would like to join you and contact neely: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a skill or talent you'd like to use?
- Social Media
- Webpage management
- Data Entry
- Legislative visits
- Liaison with allied groups
- and more!
- email neely: email@example.com
Don't have much time, but would like to support our work?
- Become a member today! Click here to find out how.
We wish you and your families a safe and enjoyable holiday season!
Stefanie, Monique, Wendy, Eva, Virginia, Ana, Lisa, Shameika, and Neely
How mothers achieved their community WIN in Keene!!
December 13th, 2016
Keene Town Board Meeting
They ran out of chairs!
December 13th, 2016
Mothers Out Front on Long Island!
First house party
Mothers organizing for the #BQGreen, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Mothers Out Front in the Finger Lakes!
Finger Lakes community organizing team meeting developing a campaign plan to stop the Dominion New Market Project
Mothers Out Front in Corning!
Rally in Solidarity with Standing Rock,
Mothers Out Front in Binghamton!
Rally calling on Schumer to step in and stop the Spectra AIM Pipeline
October 26, 2016
Virginia Ribot, El Puente/Mothers Out Front Community Organizer,
joins the stage to be recognized for her work on the Bushwick Inlet Park
Mothers Out Front in NYC!
Rally asking NYC City Council to uphold its promise to build Bushwick Inlet Park