Community Organizer/ Trainer
Mothers Out Front is a dynamic social impact organization with ambitious goals to address the climate crisis. We are seeking a talented and passionate organizer in the Worcester, Massachusetts area to join our team and help build a diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers stepping up in big ways to take action on climate change. This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, collaborative and energetic individual.
Reports to: MA Organizing Manager
Location: Worcester MA, Remote office
*For the short-term, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, all of our organizing has moved to a virtual approach. We will resume in-person meetings and travel when it is safe to do so again
The Central MA Community Organizer will support and build volunteer-led teams to carry out effective local campaigns that move decision makers to make child-centered climate decisions. You will help us focus resources particularly in Worcester and other communities that suffer the injustices of climate change and fossil fuel use and have been historically marginalized. In addition, you will serve as the MA staff coordinator for our leadership training program, designed to build a movement of mothers and caregivers by training them in core practices for organizing and community leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support and strengthen the Worcester Mothers Out Front’s team to undertake impactful campaigns and continue building the engagement and leadership of mothers from diverse ethnic, racial and socio-economic backgrounds
- Ensure that members of the Worcester team have training in core skills needed for their campaign and leadership roles.
- Recruit new and diverse mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers through outreach activities such as door knocking, phone banks, one-on-one meetings, attendance at local events, etc.
- Provide strategic advice, training, and support for the Worcester team (and potentially for new teams) to develop strategic campaign plans, actions and materials, set and meet goals; ensure that campaigns are in alignment with equity and Mothers Out Front’s mission.
- Support members to develop relationships with a diverse mix of allied organizations and community leaders. Participate in and support members to participate in strategic coalitions that support our movement and increase our visibility.
- Establish working relationships with decision-makers, funders, media and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that key data about supporters and participants is recorded and tracked in our database, NationBuilder. Recruit and train at least one volunteer data coordinator per team.
- Work closely with the volunteer leadership of your team/s to coordinate events.
- Participate in fund-raising initiatives as needed, including working with Mothers Out Front development staff to meet membership goals. Provide relevant data for the development department and attend occasional fund-raising events.
- Recruit members to serve on state and national teams.
Training and Leadership Development
- Work with volunteer-led training team and key staff to develop annual training goals and calendar to strengthen leadership development across the state, to prepare mothers to lead strong teams and strong campaigns.
- Work with training team, MA Organizing Manager and Director of Learning to plan and carry out trainings and achieve annual goals.
- Coordinate and track participation in statewide and local trainings.
- Support the development of new curriculum and facilitate interactive trainings, in collaboration with training leaders and other staff.
- Debrief training program with Director of Learning and other interested staff and leaders.
- Draft monthly and annual reports.
- Respond timely to emails, phone calls and slack messages.
- Submit credit card receipts and reimbursements timely.
- Use our online tools to manage paid-time-off, calendar and expenses.
Education and Experience
- At least one year of experience in grassroots organizing or community outreach with an emphasis on community engagement.
- Experience leading interactive trainings
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Good people skills
- Exposure to fundraising is a bonus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Resourceful and creative — willing to seek out answers and learn on the job.
- Ability to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- A general understanding of the political environment in Worcester
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially different ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, educational, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- Spanish-speaking preferred
- The ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed, and to travel across the state regularly, and to out-of-state meetings for 3-5 days duration two times per year.
Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You will work from a home office and must be based in Central MA. This a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $41,200 – 56,650, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in communities and statewide. We are a member-led, national organization that is growing quickly. We currently support 21 passionate, volunteer-led teams in MA. We have staff working in eight states and are committed to deepening and expanding this critical movement.