About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front (MOF) is a dynamic social impact organization with ambitious goals to address the climate crisis.
The organization builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level.
MOF is a member-led, national organization that was founded in 2013 and we are growing quickly. This year’s operating budget is $4.3m. We currently have staff working in eight states and are a fast-growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Job Title: Director of People, Culture and Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Are you keen to play a critical role spearheading new and improved people, culture, and operational practices for a growing nonprofit? We invite you to consider becoming our Director of People, Culture and Operations.
Join forces with Mothers Out Front to help build and refine the systems and teams needed to support an evolving virtual organization. Experience implementing innovative people practices for distributed teams will be indispensable to success in this role.
Mothers Out Front is currently in a period of organizational transformation. Effective people strategy and a strong operational support system are particularly important to our success in the months and years ahead.
Who You Are:
You’re somewhat unconventional and a bit of a maverick, in that you possess both HR and broad enterprise operations fluency. A creative Change Agent and HR Revolutionary who wants to impact people, culture, and performance through your cutting-edge vision and leadership, and hands-on management across Human Resources strategy, Finance, Administration, and IT. And you have been impatiently looking for a different kind of people practices role that will leverage your diversified skillset.
- Align HR strategy with the organization’s strategic plan, evolving a people agenda that supports mission execution. Serve as the primary point of contact for leaders, providing professional expertise and acting as a sounding board for all aspects of talent management and employee engagement, and partnering to resolve staff issues and challenges.
- Lead monthly all-staff meetings. Ensure close captioning and any other needed accommodations are provided for all staff gatherings.
- Manage compliance with collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and the relationship with the union to limit grievances and avoid arbitration.
- Oversee the function, including training and professional development, performance evaluation, and compensation. In collaboration with the HR and Operations Associate provide effective and forward-looking, HR support services and progressive talent management strategy.
- Lead annual HR processes – performance management, compensation, talent planning, etc.
- Administer annual staff surveys that assess progress on creating a healthy environment.
- Support organizational goal of building a work culture rooted in equity and inclusion, ensuring MOF hires and retains a diverse and high-performing staff, and is compliant across all states. Develop strategies to foster a healthy, fun and purpose-driven environment.
- Help to grow MOF’s DEI (Diversity/Equity/Inclusion) muscle.
Responsible for driving compliance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Responsible for benefit and compensation plans that provide cost efficiencies and attractiveness to retain talent. Lead market research and annual open enrolment.
- Establish goals, objectives, and operational plans in collaboration with other leaders.
- Own all operations and logistical issues and systems.
- Provide the vision and oversight of a virtual environment that enables and encourages collaboration, innovation, efficiency and effectiveness, and learning.
- Proactively seek and capitalize on opportunities for operational improvements. Discover, research, and implement new systems/tools that both improve and fit into existing operating procedures. Lead process from discovery to negotiation.
- Lead three direct reports.
- Establish quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines and standards that allow operational effectiveness and also identify opportunities for improvement.
- Oversee all aspects of MOF finances. Serve as liaison to and manager of outsourced CFO providing Board and Executive Director / senior leadership with regular financial reporting and analysis.
- Lead finance and budgeting working collaboratively with our outsourced CFO to ensure the systems support the work as we grow in size and complexity.
- Lead annual budget preparation and monthly budget to actual tracking, in partnership with the Finance and Operations Manager. Ensure budget managers understand budgeting and tracking.
- Provide payroll review, and tax and other regulatory compliance and oversight.
- Oversee bank account management in partnership with the Finance and Operations Manager; oversight of financial reporting and accounts payables and receivables workflows, and readiness for annual financial audit and 990.
- Oversee contract negotiations and vendor payments.
- Manage day to day functioning of software and systems.
- Lead periodic review of our technology infrastructure. Ensure our tech platforms are effective and in-sync with our needs now and as we expand and evolve.
- A leader who can help to build a scalable organization structure and optimize workflows, with a solid perspective on performance management
- Demonstrated ability to measure, track, and report on efficiency and other organizational health indicators
- Strong administrative skills, ideally including experience with databases, setting up efficient systems, and budget monitoring.
- Highly organized, with a track record of meeting short and long-term responsibilities in a fast- paced, deadline-driven organization.
- Outstanding ability to plan, prioritize and execute with excellent judgment and efficiency.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
Experience and Attributes
- At least 5 years’ experience in human resources, finance, administrative, or operations roles with increasing complexity and responsibility.
- Labor relations experience with responsibility for union contract compliance.
- Some experience with project management techniques and tools.
- Experience in a nonprofit or campaign setting, and/or at member-led organizations with a focus on grassroots organizing or movement building.
- Experience working with non-profit, multi-state, and/or virtual organizations.
- Previous experience working within a small organization that scaled in complexity and personnel.
- Experience with Google Suite, Quickbooks, payroll processing oversight and HRIS systems, and/or Bill.com.
- Resilient problem-solver comfortable presenting viable solutions in situations with multiple, sometimes conflicting, perspectives.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with a flexible and collaborative style. Ability to thrive in a goal-driven, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
- Comfortable skillfully pushing against business-as-usual and capable of influencing MOF to be a learning-enabled and continually improving organization.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, religious, education, generational and gender identity backgrounds, and individuals with disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- Relationship-oriented, organized, culturally competent, strong at process management and a capable, responsive communicator.
Mothers Out Front is a fully virtual organization. This position can be based anywhere in the United States and will work from your home office.
Salary and benefits
The salary range is $85,080 to $110,000, and is negotiable depending on experience. Benefits include fully paid health benefits, dental benefits, 401(k), flexible spending, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Please apply through the application form associated with this position on our website providing a resume and a cover letter specifically addressing why you believe you are qualified for this position. Applications that fail to honor this request will not receive consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.