Foundation Relations Manager
Reports to: Director of Philanthropy
About Mothers Out Front
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are growing a multi-racial, cross-class, intergenerational movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate justice movement, and, when it comes to protecting children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change. Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate justice work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together and win campaigns in their communities, cities, and states.
About the Role
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our team as the Manager of Foundation Relations. In this role, you will play a crucial part in ensuring Mothers Out Front has a robust and engaged pipeline of existing and prospective foundation partners. This is an opportunity for you to use your expertise in program administration, donor relations, and experience in foundation facing fundraising to to build mothers’ power and fight for climate justice for all.
What You’ll Do
- Be an active contributor of team leadership, bringing innovative ideas, insights, and strategies to our overall approach to our major giving program.
- You will work closely with the Director of Philanthropy as a thought partner on our foundation giving strategy.
- You will prepare proposals, stewardship materials, concept notes, grant deliverables and other materials as needed, and ensure submissions are complete, accurate, and timely.
- You will identify foundation prospects whose strategic priorities align with our mission and campaign work.
- You will develop strategy memoranda and scripts to make successful asks, demonstrating understanding of each foundation’s priorities and interests.
- Work to engage organizing staff and membership in giving campaigns
- Lead on developing revenue goals for foundation giving, tracking progress closely to ensure that targets are met and strategies re-examined when necessary to ensure achievement of goals.
- Manage and implement all components of grants processing, including legal and regulatory compliance, processing of grantmaking requirements, data entry, and reporting of data.
- Ensure compliance with IRS regulations and collaborates with Executive Director, Finance Director, and Accountant to fulfill IRS reporting requirements.
- Ensure timely compliance with grant agreements, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Receive and enter grants data into grants management system and online filing system and ensure integrity of data, in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements as well as with the Mothers Out Front’s own processes and requirements.
- Schedule payments, including grant awards and installments in coordination with Program Director, Finance Director, and Accountant
- Work with the finance team to schedule wire transfers within the online banking system and communicate payment information and verification to grant recipients.
- Produce reports on grants information as requested.
- Complete due-diligence on foundation partners to ensure values alignment.
- Manage a portfolio of foundations, serving as lead on both relationship development and direct solicitations of support.
- Stay abreast of new technologies, requirements, trends, and best practices within the field of grants administration.
- Travel 15% annually, including overnights and some weekends.
What You Will Need
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience working in foundation relations and grants management, including experience with grant writing and direct solicitations.
- Portfolio Management: Demonstrated experience managing a foundation portfolio with a proven track record of prospecting, diversifying and expanding a foundation portfolio.
- Strong project management skills: coupled with sharp attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
- Relationships/Knowledge of Space: Knowledge of funders and existing relationships within climate and social justice space.
- Compliance Experience: History of ensuring compliance with IRS regulations and accounting rules, as well as ensuring timely compliance with grant agreements, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Strong Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and empathetically with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Interpersonal skills: Proven track record of building relationships and engaging effectively with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, socio-economic, educational, linguistic, and religious backgrounds, as well as people of various physical abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and generations. Demonstrated self-awareness about how your identities may influence how you show up, interact with, and are perceived by others.
- Commitment to social justice, diversity, and inclusion: Demonstrates a strong commitment to social justice and actively works to dismantle systems of oppression, including racism, sexism, misogyny, classism, ableism, homophobia, xenophobia, and other forms of discrimination. Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as varying religious, educational, generational, and gender identity backgrounds.
Location: Mothers Out Front is a fully remote organization. Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. and will work from a home office. This is a full-time position.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this role is $78,000 – $88,000, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental coverage, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer committed to anti-racism and anti-discrimination internally and externally. We value the lived experiences of a diverse workforce and expect staff to be committed to building an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.