Manager of Major Giving
Reports to: Director of Philanthropy
About Mothers Out Front
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are growing a multi-racial, cross-class, intergenerational movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate justice movement, and, when it comes to protecting children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change. Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate justice work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together and win campaigns in their communities, cities, and states.
About the Role
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our team as the Manager of Major Giving. As the Manager of Major Giving, you will play a crucial role in ensuring Mothers Out Front has a broad-based, diverse major donor base and a robust major gift program. This is an opportunity for you to use your expertise in individual donor prospecting, cultivation, and management, along with your proven track record securing five to seven figure gifts to advance our work to build mothers’ power and fight for climate justice for all.
What You’ll Do
- Be an active contributor of team leadership, bringing innovative ideas, insights, and strategies to our overall approach to our major giving program.
- You will work closely with the Director of Philanthropy as a thought partner on our Major Gifts strategy, including segmenting, targeting, and appeal content.
- You will work closely with Philanthropy staff to identify prospects within our database; identify additional external prospects by reviewing donor lists from peer organizations; and use other strategies and database resources to identify new potential major donors.
- Help to prioritize prospects and assign portfolios to the Executive Director, Director of Philanthropy, and other staff/volunteers as appropriate.
- Develop short- and long-term strategies for prospects, including annual giving goals and goals for discrete campaigns.
- Work with the Director of Philanthropy and Executive Director to enlist the participation of board members and other volunteer leadership in identifying, cultivating and soliciting major donor prospects.
- Develop strategy memoranda and meeting scripts to make successful asks, demonstrating understanding of donor interests and philanthropic habits.
- With Director of Philanthropy, develop revenue goals for major giving, tracking progress closely to ensure that targets are met and strategies re-examined when necessary to ensure achievement of goals.
- Manage stewardship of Mothers Out Front’s major donor portfolio, ensuring that donors experience high-quality interactions that foster long-term engagement and investment.
- Lead on relationship with a portfolio of major donors – including regular travel – as part of the identification, cultivation solicitation and stewardship cycle.
- Develop methods to convey the impact of gifts and ensure that donors are kept up to date on key developments on our campaigns and priorities.
- Plan and implement strategic donor cultivation events and support Mothers Out Front fundraising events by enlisting the support of high-level donors and volunteers to host events and provide new prospect names.
- Execute logistics, develop strategic event programming in consultation with senior development staff, and strategize and coordinate post-event follow-up.
- Write solicitation letters, proposals, donor recognition pieces for publications, and other materials as needed.
- Assign and assist with prospect research sufficient to confirm major donor capacity and propensity to give, as well as other relevant details.
- Ability to travel 20% of the time, encompassing both day trips and overnights required and expected annually.
What You Will Need
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience working with individual donors, including a proven track record of soliciting large gifts.
- Portfolio Management: Demonstrated experience managing a major donor portfolio with a proven track record of prospecting, diversifying and expanding a major donor portfolio.
- Strong project management skills, coupled with sharp attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
- Experience using CRM platforms: Strong preference for proficiency with Salesforce.
- Event planning: A track record of planning strategic donor events, including cultivation, stewardship, friendraising and direct solicitation events.
- Strong Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and empathetically with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Interpersonal skills: Proven track record of building relationships and engaging effectively with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, socio-economic, educational, linguistic, and religious backgrounds, as well as people of various physical abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and generations. Demonstrated self-awareness about how your identities may influence how you show up, interact with, and are perceived by others.
- Commitment to social justice, diversity, and inclusion: Demonstrates a strong commitment to social justice and actively works to dismantle systems of oppression, including racism, sexism, misogyny, classism, ableism, homophobia, xenophobia, and other forms of discrimination. Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as varying religious, educational, generational, and gender identity backgrounds.
Location: Mothers Out Front is a fully remote organization. Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. and will work from a home office. This is a full-time position.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this role is $78,000 – $88,000, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental coverage, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Deadline to Apply: The priority deadline to apply is Monday, February 19th; applications will continued to be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. This search is being conducted by NRG Consulting Group. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer committed to anti-racism and anti-discrimination internally and externally. We value the lived experiences of a diverse workforce and expect staff to be committed to building an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.