NY Capital Region Organizer
Mothers Out Front is a fully remote, dynamic social impact organization with ambitious expansion goals. We are seeking a talented and passionate full-time organizer to join our team and help build a diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers stepping up in big ways to take action on climate change in New York state. This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, collaborative and energetic individual.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a member-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $4.3m. We currently have staff working in eight states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Reports to: New York Organizing Manager
The NY Capital Region Organizer will work to build community teams who carry out effective local campaigns that move decision makers to make child-centered climate decisions. You will help us focus resources particularly in those communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and fossil fuel use today and have been historically marginalized. We have passionate volunteer-led teams across New York state advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy and are committed to deepening and expanding this critical movement. As the NY Capital Region Organizer, you will work to build teams who carry out effective local campaigns that move decision makers to make child-centered climate decisions.
Mothers Out Front is excited to add organizing capacity in New York. New York City, the financial capital of the world, is highly vulnerable to the impacts of climate change from extreme weather patterns and sea level rise. Upstate New York — known for its scenic beauty, abundant fresh water and arable soil — faces threats from flooding, drought, and the build-out of pipelines and related gas infrastructure. New York is poised to lead the nation on climate policy with its 2014 fracking moratorium, its laudable greenhouse gas reduction goals, and commitment to offshore wind. Unfortunately, there are still many road blocks in place that prevent New York from authentic and impactful climate leadership, including the powerful influence of the fossil fuel industry. We know New Yorkers care about protecting their state and ensuring a livable climate for their children and are ready for the progress which is so urgently needed for the state to continue to lead the way for the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reaching out to mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers across the Capital Region of New York state to recruit and build new Mothers Out Front teams.
- Providing strategic advice, training, and support for new and existing teams around: developing strategic local and statewide campaign plans and materials, setting and helping to meet goals; ensuring the campaigns are in alignment with the Mothers Out Front mission to effectively make progress away from fossil fuels.
- Support members of Mothers Out Front in developing relationships with a diverse mix of allied organizations and community leaders.
- Ensuring key data (including number of people engaged, house parties held, volunteers participating in campaign events, and more) is recorded and tracked in our database, NationBuilder. Recruit and train volunteer data coordinators to ensure all community teams are effectively maximizing the database.
- Working closely with the volunteer leadership to coordinate events across the region. Recruit and support volunteer house party team members.
- Participating in fundraising initiatives as needed, including working with Mothers Out Front development and membership staff to meet membership goals in the region. Provide relevant data for the development department and, as needed, attend fundraising events.
- Recruiting New York members to serve on the statewide leadership team and functional teams.
Education and Experience
- At least five years of experience in grassroots organizing with an emphasis on leadership development, ideally in a grassroots campaign setting.
- A passion for developing the leadership of mothers.
- Experience reading and analyzing policy as a bonus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High creativity and flexibility. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment. Ability to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the statewide and municipal level, including attention to power-building, tactics that influence decision-makers, building effective democratic local organizations, and the use of public narrative and storytelling in campaign organizing.
- Experienced at active and reflective listening. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- An ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- An ability to travel across the state as well as to a few staff gatherings outside of New York.
- A passion for climate justice and addressing climate change.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially different ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, educational, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- Strong administrative skills, ideally including an aptitude for working with databases and setting up administrative systems. Some experience working with database software for fundraising and organizing.
Details: This is a full-time position at around 40 hours per week. Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You will work from a home office and must be based in or around Albany, New York.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $41,200 to $56,650, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
To apply: Please visit our Careers Page at https://mothersoutfront.applytojob.com/ to apply.
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.