New York State Organizing Manager
Mothers Out Front is a dynamic social impact organization with ambitious goals to address the climate crisis. This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, collaborative and energetic individual with organizing and management experience.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete and a just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change!
Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a member-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $4.3m. We currently have staff working in eight states and are a fast-growing movement with no plans of slowing down.
Reports to: Deputy Director of Organizing
Supervises: Community Organizer(s) and Senior Organizer(s)
Mothers Out Front is seeking a talented organizer and staff manager to develop and lead our advocacy and empowerment work in New York. As the organizing manager, you’ll help build a diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers and caregivers advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy. You will recruit, train and manage staff working with member-led teams, and build and support the New York state member leadership team. You’ll work with and draw leadership from frontline communities who experience the worst effects of fossil fuels — from the dangers and challenges caused by extreme weather patterns, to devastating health effects like asthma and other respiratory illnesses — with particular attention to low-income communities and communities of color.
The OM supports the statewide membership leadership team in developing and implementing community and state-based campaigns, while coordinating with national organizing efforts to make urgently needed progress toward a healthy and livable climate for all. While the effects of COVID-19 are still emerging, current data suggesting a disproportionate health outcomes in communities of color offer suggest additional urgency and opportunities to local organizing.
Mothers Out Front is excited to expand our presence, power and grassroots organizing approach in New York. We know mothers, caregivers and grandmothers care about protecting public health and ensuring a livable climate for their children – and are ready for the progress that is so urgently needed.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Leadership and Management
- Use your management experience and skills to motivate and train a diverse team of staff and members, and ensure culturally-compentent, best-practice administrative procedures.
- Recruit, train and manage community and senior organizers to ensure productive, strategic campaigns and to drive growth and leadership development.
- Ensure that the organizers are effectively implementing annual goals, deploying training tools, coaching resources, data and membership support.
- Train and coach staff to set and meet goals, provide ongoing feedback and conduct annual evaluation of staff; update job descriptions.
- Partner with our development team to support the cultivation and procurement of sustainable funding for our work in the state.
- Participate in the national Organizing Manager Team to ensure collective impact and growth goals are set and achieved.
- Demonstrate organizational leadership within Mothers Out Front that is solution-oriented, strategic and results-oriented.
- Work to build staff morale by setting clear expectations, celebrating wins and creating team-building opportunities in your state
- Develop, train and maintain a state leadership team; work with the state leadership team to build a statewide movement that engages thousands of moms and other stakeholders for systemic and impactful climate change policy protections.
- Develop organizing systems and tools for your state to ensure that your staff and members are supported and functional.
- Develop and support statewide and local teams of leaders to build power and win campaigns across the state, and to develop engaging storytelling strategies.
- Train and move members up the ladder of engagement;
- Create annual statewide vision and SMARTIE goals with staff and members that are strategic, impactful and inspiring.
- Participate in strategic coalitions that support our movement and increase our visibility; establish working relationships with key decision-makers, funders, media and other stakeholders in your state to move the campaign work forward.
- Coordinate communications resources to ensure that Mothers Out Front is visible across the state, that members are informed of our collective work and that the campaigns at the local and state level have effective communications plans and support.
- Support community and senior organizers with organizing and campaign work to ensure local impact.
- Draft monthly and annual reports.
- Oversight of staff paid time off, expenses, lobbying reporting, etc.
- Respond promptly to emails, phone calls and Slack messages.
- Submit credit card receipts and reimbursements in a timely manner.
- Create and manage state budget in partnership with the state leadership team, organizing staff and national leadership.
Education and Experience
- At least 2 years of experience organizing in low-income and communities of color, and managing staff of color.
- At least 5 years experience in grassroots organizing or campaign settings, including a background in staff management or demonstrated readiness to manage.
- Experience in grassroots organizing or movement building with an emphasis on leadership development.
- An understanding of campaign development, ideally including experience developing campaigns at the statewide and/or municipal level.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, education, generational and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and of the LGBTQ community.
- Experience and comfort with fundraising preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High creativity and strategic action. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment. Ability to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the statewide, regional or municipal levels, including attention to power-building and tactics that influence decision-makers, build effective democratic local organizations and use public narrative and story-telling in campaign organizing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Commitment to working with people from diverse ethnic, racial and socioeconomic backgrounds and demonstrated ability to increase the participation of underrepresented communities
- The ability to work evenings and weekends as needed, and to travel across the state regularly and to national staff and manager retreats.
Location: Mothers Out Front is a virtual organization. You can be based anywhere in NY with access to Albany and NYC, and will work from a home office. This full-time position reports to our Deputy Director of Organizing.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $66,950 to $80,340, depending on experience. A generous benefits package includes health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, Medical Flexible Spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Please send your résumé and a cover letter that specifically addresses why you want to work on this issue, for this organization.
As separate attachments, include at least 3 professional references and any salary requirements or expectations. References are not contacted unless you are interviewed and notified.
Send all materials to: Jobs@DemocracyPartners.com
Mothers Out Front is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply. Diversity, inclusion and broad representation are our strengths.