Northern Virginia Community Organizer – **MUST LIVE IN THE NORTHERN VIRGINIA AREA**
Mothers Out Front is a dynamic social impact organization with ambitious goals to address the climate
crisis. We are seeking a talented and passionate organizer to join our Virginia team and help build a
diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers, and allies stepping up in significant ways to
take action for climate justice. This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, collaborative, and
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are
building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to
convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away
from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play
in the climate change movement, and when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an
unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in
climate justice work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on
campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level.
Reports to: Virginia Organizing Manager
The Northern Virginia community organizer will work to build community teams that carry out
effective campaigns that move decision-makers to make child-centered climate decisions. You will help
us focus resources, particularly in those communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and
fossil fuel use today and have been historically marginalized. We have passionate volunteer-led teams
across Virginia advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable
energy and are committed to deepening and expanding this critical movement. As the community
organizer in your region, you will work to build teams who carry out effective campaigns that move
decision-makers to make child-centered climate decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Reaching out to mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers across the region to establish and
maintain Mothers Out Front’s local community teams.
● Increase mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers’ engagement in Mothers Out Front movement-
building activities by building “snowflake models” with our teams.
● Recruit mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers through outreach tactics such as door knocking,
phone banks, one-on-one meetings, local events attendance, and more.
● Provide strategic advice, training, and support for new and existing teams, helping them
develop strategic campaign plans, actions, and materials; set and meet goals; ensure the
campaigns align with the Mothers Out Front mission to progress toward the elimination of fossil
● Support member leaders and volunteers of Mothers Out Front to develop relationships with a
diverse mix of allied organizations and community leaders.
● Attend local team meetings, facilitate the meetings, and oversee logistics and outreach.
● Participate and train members in strategic coalitions that support our movement and increase
our visibility; establish a working relationship with key decision-makers, funders, media and
other stakeholders in your region to move the campaign work forward.
● Ensure that key data (including the number of people engaged, house parties held, volunteers
participating in campaign events, and more) is recorded and tracked in our database,
NationBuilder. Recruit and train volunteer data coordinators to ensure all community teams
effectively maximize the database.
● Work closely with the volunteer leadership to coordinate events across the region. Recruit and
support volunteer house party team members.
● Participate in fundraising initiatives as needed, including working with Mothers Out Front
development and membership staff to meet membership goals in the region. Provide relevant
data for the development department and, as needed, attend fundraising events.
● Recruit members to serve on the statewide leadership team and functional teams to advance
the mission of Mothers Out Front.
● Draft monthly and annual reports.
● Enter data monthly to ensure the existing membership base data is up-to-date and accurate
● Respond timely to emails, phone calls and slack messages.
● Submit credit card receipts and reimbursements timely.
● Use our online tools to manage paid-time-off, calendar and expenses.
Education and Experience
● At least three years of experience in grassroots organizing with an emphasis on base building,
distributed organizing, and leadership development, ideally in a grassroots campaign setting.
● Experience planning, executing and evaluating strategic campaigns and organizing plans in
nonprofit, social justice, or labor campaigns or organizations.
● Experience with creating curriculum and facilitating interactive training for leadership
development and civic engagement.
● Experience with fundraising is a bonus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● High creativity and strategic action. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-
paced, campaign-oriented environment. Ability to work remotely and be productively self-
directed and personally organized.
● An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the municipal level,
including attention to power-building, tactics that influence decision-makers, building
effective democratic local organizations, and the use of public narrative and storytelling in
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills: experienced in active and reflective
● Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds,
especially different ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have
experience working with people from different religious, educational, generational, and gender
identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
● The ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed, and to travel across the region
regularly, as well as attending to national staff and organizing team retreats.
***Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You will work from a home office and must be
based in the Northern Virginia area. Some travel be required.***
Salary and benefits: This is a full-time position. The salary range is $41,200 to $59,990, depending on
experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, a flexible spending plan, paid
vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training
opportunities a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting, and we are proudly women-
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the
LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially
welcome and encouraged to apply.