2021 Movement & Campaigns Organizing Associate
Summary: Mothers Out Front is in search of 3 temporary, part time organizing associates. The locations we are focusing on for these events in Fall 2021, are: Chicago, Durham, & Kansas City.
2021 is a critical year for climate action. As we approach the next cycle of 2021-22 US elections ranging from gubernatorial and federal races we see the consequences of climate change more clearly, as a result a new powerful wave of the climate movement has been swelling.
As mothers, we were most impacted by the world shutting down, this meant homeschooling, taking off work, and many of us felt alone and scared. So, as Mothers, we came together online, created an online community, to build power, resilience, and a strategy on how to protect our kids, our communities, and our planet.
We are offering a series of OUTDOOR In-Person “Community Events” and Direct Actions to engage new BIPOC moms, create planning opportunities for our existing moms and create a space to eat & discuss what is impacting our movement.
We have plans for weekly planning committee meetings, 3 days of social media ads, that lead up to 3 “Climate & Waffles” events, as well as National Coordinated followup actions, centered around “UnMask the Climate Movement”.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Planning Committees Meetings & Recruitment:, Provide training and support to Local Planning Committees to increase the number of families engaged in Fall 2021 with activities and share skills and resource
- Lead outreach, engagement in local communities (Raleigh/Durham NC, KC,MO & Chicago, IL) through digital means to invite and support Our (outdoor in person) Climate & Waffles events.
- AN OVERARCHING GOAL is to identify, organize and issue id BIPOC moms in our movement. Lead local activities in partnership with BIPOC community pillars
- Provide reporting and accounting of data and activities, including storytelling (releasing a video)
- Participate in M+C planning calls weekly and as appropriate, to share local stories and support parent engagement in the broader Climate Mobilization organizing
- To be available at least 10 hours per week from 8/31/21 until 11/19/21
- As a temporary employee of Mothers Out Front, you will be tasked with the following leading up to the Climate & Waffles, Back to School, & Oct event:
- Art Build, Press Release, Social Media Content,
- Plan an event or a series or education event as needed / Art Build about Climate Change and Climate Justice in your respective community
- Engage youth and parents about Climate Issues and essentially lead an activity/event to get folks discussing.
- Create and execute an event/recruitment event outdoors at a school by Sept 30 (Back2School) to collect pledge cards at the appropriate school. In addition, partner and execute a community event in OCT (centered around superheroes).
- Get footage (pictures, videos, media coverage) of the event and or events
- Record and create 1 invite video for each event recruitment and 4 weeks of recruitment content (3 invite videos total).
- Weekly check-ins with National M+C Manager (Stephanie Bowman) from Mothers Out Front on progress, troubling shooting, event planning, materials needed, etc.
- Provide support and technical assistance to parents who want to engage in the” Planning Committee’s activities
- Mothers Out Front is a fully virtual organization. Candidates must be based in Chicago, Durham, or Kansas City, or a location near one of these cities.
- Compensation: $1,200 a month, paid semi monthly ($600 per paycheck) plus $500 for supplies.
- A minimum of 10 hours/week is expected, with approximately 2 of those in planning calls and 1.5 in reporting, while the remaining will be a balance of phone and local community outreach to parents and youth leaders, including school communities.
- Employment will terminate on Nov 19, 2021
- Employment Date: Aug 31, 2021 (or later hire date) until Nov 19, 2021
Visit our website career page (https://www.mothersoutfront.org/career-opportunities/) to submit your resume, a cover letter that discusses this position, and answers to the question on the application.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their