Senior Director of Campaigns & Organizing
Department: Campaigns & Organizing
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Oversees growing department of 20+; Directly manages 3-5 staff
About Mothers Out Front
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are growing a multi-racial, cross-class, intergenerational movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate justice movement, and, when it comes to protecting children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change. Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate justice work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together and win campaigns in their communities, cities, and states.
About the Role
You are passionate about people-powered change and winning transformative social justice campaigns. You will design and direct Mothers Out Front’s overall campaigns and organizing strategy, including national and cross-regional narrative initiatives. You lead a growing team of campaigners and organizers and manage the department’s budget. You serve as a member of the organization’s leadership team and represent Mothers Out Front externally, including national coalitions. This is a great opportunity for a skilled, strategic leader to make a significant impact in the climate justice movement and empower thousands of mothers around the country.
What You’ll Do:
- Set the overall vision and workplan for the Campaigns and Organizing department and act as a core thought leader and strategy driver throughout the organization.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Campaigns & Organizing department and volunteer National Leadership Team, including strategic approaches to organizing and membership development.
- Act as a primary driver of organizational culture focused on building equity and inspiring learning and experimentation.
- Oversee all aspects of the organization’s campaigns and organizing efforts.
- Oversee department’s campaign planning and ongoing iteration of campaign plans, including regular monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
- Supervise and mentor three Senior Regional Managers (supervisors) and make other personnel decisions for the department.
- Manage knowledge-sharing initiatives to facilitate learning across regional staff and teams.
- Represent MOF externally for high-level opportunities, including donor meetings and coalition participation.
- Navigate and facilitate resolution of challenges that occur internally or externally.
- Lead organization-wide planning and evaluation initiatives alongside other members of the leadership team.
What You’ll Need:
- Experience: A minimum of 15 years of campaigning and organizing experience in one of the above sectors, including direct experience working in the climate and justice space.
- Management: Demonstrated experience managing teams or departments, with a proven track record of exceptional leadership and team building. A Senior Director will have experience overseeing departments and teams. Strong project management skills, coupled with sharp attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage competing priorities; Demonstrable focus, resilience, and the problem-solving skill to develop solutions under challenging circumstances.
- Strong Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to distill complex ideas into clear, compelling messages.
- Campaigns and Organizing leadership: Proven ability to plan, execute, and adapt comprehensive advocacy campaign strategies in changing contexts; Experience training and developing staff and community members in organizing, power building, community advocacy and/or influencing policy; Experience collaborating with communications experts and contributing to media strategies; Experience with both digital and grassroots, in-person organizing; Familiarity and comfort with systems-based approaches to change.
- Interpersonal skills: Experience building relationships and engaging effectively with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, socio-economic, educational, linguistic, and religious backgrounds, as well as people of various physical abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and generations. Demonstrated self-awareness about how your identities may influence how you show up, interact with, and are perceived by others.
- Issue expertise (highly desirable): A strong understanding of climate change’s disproportionate impacts on low income and marginalized communities and the environmental and climate justice solutions that address these inequalities.
- Commitment to social justice, diversity, and inclusion: Demonstrates a strong commitment to social justice and actively works to dismantle systems of oppression, including racism, sexism, misogyny, classism, ableism, homophobia, xenophobia, and other forms of discrimination. Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as varying religious, educational, generational, and gender identity backgrounds.
Details: Mothers Out Front is a fully remote organization. Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. and will work from a home office. This is a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range for a Senior Director of Campaigns and Organizing is $136,000 – $145,000, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental coverage, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
The deadline to apply is September 6, 2023. This search is being run by NRG Consulting Group. Please feel free to share with your networks. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Watch this interview with Executive Director Beth Shipp to learn more about the role!
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.