Mothers Out Front is seeking a dynamic and motivated Director of Operations to implement and oversee the infrastructure and systems needed to support our fast growing, mission-driven organization. As the Director of Operations you will be responsible for the oversight of administrative and financial systems, including human resources, finance, accounting, information technology, and our virtual office environment.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a member-led, national organization that is growing quickly. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers who, working together, are an unstoppable force for change! We are deeply committed to working most closely with those communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and fossil fuel use today and have been historically marginalized.
Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $3.7m. We currently have staff currently working in eight states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
As the Director of Operations, you will provide strategic guidance and hands-on management across human resources, finance, administration, and IT. This is an opportunity to build and refine the systems and team to support a passionate and entrepreneurial organization.
You should be people and relationship-oriented, organized, comfortable juggling multiple tasks and responsibilities, culturally competent, strong at process management, and a creative problem-solver.
Your responsibilities will include:
Oversee the HR function for Mothers Out Front to build a staff culture that is rooted in equity and inclusion, ensuring that we hire and retain a diverse and high-performing staff, and are in compliance across our many states.
- Provide oversight and leadership in the development, implementation and refinement of HR policies and systems.
- Develop and oversee employee recruitment across the organization working in collaboration with managers to develop recruitment strategies to identify diverse pools of talented candidates
- Ensure multi-state employer compliance.
- Manage and administrate all payroll functions for a multi-state payroll, including compliance and reporting.
- Manage full employee life-cycle process, including onboarding, performance management, and offboarding.
- Administer all employee benefits programs, including the annual benefits review and implementation of new benefits programs
- Manage and administrate HRIS system, PTO tracking and employee benefit usage.
Provide the vision and oversight for a virtual office environment that enables and encourages collaboration, innovation, and learning.
- Hire and manage administrative staff as needed.
- Ensure that all administrative needs are met, including our virtual mailbox, document management, travel, virtual meeting/communication systems.
- Manage all incoming mail flow.
- Manage our contracts and vendor relationships.
- Manage all filings and registrations to ensure multi-state business and non-profit charity compliance.
- Manage design, purchasing, and delivery of printed materials and other merchandise for staff and volunteer teams.
Manage all aspects of finance and budgeting for Mothers Out Front working collaboratively with our outsourcing partner to be sure that the systems are in place to support the work as we grow in size and complexity. Specifically you will:
- Manage the annual budget and budgeting process, working with leadership to develop, monitor, and refine the budget.
- Provide high-quality fiscal management throughout the year, tracking income and expenses, reporting monthly progress to budget, and highlighting issues and areas for focus.
- Ensure compliance with external requirements and regulations, including the annual audit, tax return reporting, and all state and local filings.
- Manage and perform all day to day accounting functions, including payables, receivables, cash management, and payroll to ensure outstanding services and appropriate controls.
- Collaborate closely with the development department in management of receivables.
- Provide financial support to programs, including models for grant proposals and financial reporting for funders.
- Monitor and manage our investments.
- Manage our insurance policies and vendors, including general liability, employment practices, professional liability, and workers’ compensation policies.
- Provide support to benefits programs, including retirement programs and pre-tax contribution programs.
Ensure that the technology we are using is effective and in-sync with our needs now and as we grow.
- Manage our relationship with our IT partner.
- Manage and administer the Google Suite systems.
- Oversee the implementation of any technology solutions.
- Ensure that we have the technology needed to function as a virtual organization.
What we’re looking for in you:
- At least 10 years of experience in human resources, finance, administrative, or operations roles with increasing levels of responsibility and complexity.
- Experience in working in a nonprofit or campaign setting. Bonus if you worked at member-led organizations with a focus on grassroots organizing or movement building.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with a flexible and collaborative style. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, education, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- Strong administrative skills, ideally including experience with databases, setting up efficient systems, and budget monitoring.
- Ability to create and implement systems to increase efficiency and facilitate processes.
- Highly organized, with a track record of meeting short and long-term responsibilities in a fast- paced, deadline-driven organization.
- Outstanding ability to plan, prioritize and execute with excellent judgment and efficiency.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing and presentation skills
- A passion for climate justice and addressing climate change.
- Experience working with non-profit, multi-state, and/or virtual organizations a plus.
- Previous experience working within a small organization that scaled in complexity and personnel preferred.
- Experience with Google Suite, Intaact, PayChex payroll and HRIS systems, and/or Bill.com a plus
Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You can be based anywhere in the United States, with a preference for candidates in NY, MA, VA, or CA and you will work from a home office. You will report to our Executive Director. This a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $75K to $90K, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
To apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the job in the subject line. Please include where you heard about the position. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Mothers Out Front is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.