A 4-Part Organizing Series on How to Build Your Team Fighting for Climate Justice Across Race and Class
*** The event has reached capacity and registration is now closed. ***
Are Ya Feelin Alone? It’s Better Together!
A 4-Part Organizing Series on How to Build Your Team Fighting for Climate Justice Across Race and Class.
Have you lost members or leaders in the pandemic? Just starting a new team, or want to revitalize your current team? Waking up to the realization that we can’t win against climate change without organizing across race and class? This 4-part organizing training series is for you!
The deadline to apply is Tuesday, August 10th.
Session 1: How to Build a Movement for Climate Justice Across Race and Class:
- Tuesday, August 17th- 5pm PT/ 6pm MT/ 8pm ET- 6:30pm PT/ 7:30pm MT/ 9:30pm ET
This session is an introduction to organizing across race and class. It will cover:
- How and why it’s so important to be aware of your privilege and positionality when organizing in a community you don’t belong to,
- Some basic considerations for organizing across race and class effectively and responsibly,
- We will hear real examples from actual teams at Mothers Out Front who have successfully begun to build across race and class in their team or region.
Session 2: “Planting A Lot of Seeds:”
- Thursday, August 19th- 5pm PT/ 6pm MT/ 8pm ET- 6:30pm PT/ 7:30pm MT/ 9:30pm ET
This session will introduce you to some tangible skills to reach out to a large number of people to begin or continue building your base. It will include:
- The how-to of setting up and carrying out a canvass, tabling event, and using social media to reach out to large numbers of people
- Time to build your own plan to carry out these seed planting events
Session 3: The One on One:
- Tuesday, August 24th- 5pm PT/ 6pm MT/ 8pm ET- 6:30pm PT/ 7:30pm MT/ 9:30pm ET
The one-on-one conversation is one of the foundations of organizing. It is a natural follow-up from a canvassing or tabling event, as well as a large social media outreach effort to begin building your movement of mothers and others. It is both a science and an art. This session will cover the how-to of the one on one and provide time to practice and make a plan in your team/ area for these vital one-on-one’s following the initial contact made in a canvass, tabling, or social media outreach.
Session 4: Going Deeper to Build your Movement: The Group Meeting:
- Thursday, August 26th- 5pm PT/ 6pm MT/ 8pm ET- 6:30pm PT/ 7:30pm MT/ 9:30pm ET
In every community, there is an already existing network of relationships. The group meeting is an organizing method we use to tap into those already existing networks to build out your base from your initial canvass and one on one conversations. This session will cover the why and how-to of various culturally appropriate and responsive group meetings that can follow your one-on-one conversation step in the basebuilding phase.