Mothers Out Front seeks a talented and passionate organizer to join our team and expand our presence in strategic areas across the country to help build a diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers stepping up in big ways to take action on climate change. We have passionate volunteer-led teams across the country advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy and are committed to deepening and expanding this critical movement.
As the Field Expansion Organizer, you will play a lead role in building a presence in new communities and states which are strategic to our success. And you will help us focus our work and resources in communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and fossil fuel use today and have been historically marginalized.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a volunteer-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $3.7m. We currently have staff working in eight states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with senior staff and member leadership to identify priority areas for expansion.
- Working closely with the leadership of existing teams in our remote organizing locations -- including NH, OH, and PA -- in key regions and communities to help them continue to recruit new members, build powerful teams, and lead effective local campaigns.
- Reaching out to mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers in strategic new areas to build new Mothers Out Front teams and expand our voice, reach, and influence.
- Providing strategic advice, training, and support for new and existing teams around: developing strategic local and statewide campaign plans and materials, setting and meeting goals; and ensuring the campaigns are in alignment with the Mothers Out Front mission to effectively make progress away from fossil fuels. This includes developing a strong understanding of the political landscape in the states you are working with.
- Coordinating team cohort calls and webinars with team leaders.
- Developing relationships with a diverse mix of allied organizations and community leaders, including environmental and public health groups; social justice organizations; organizations representing communities of color and different ethnic populations; mothers and parent groups; and youth organizations. You will also work with members to help them develop and strengthen allied relationships.
- Ensuring key data (including number of people engaged, house parties held, volunteers participating in campaign events) is recorded and tracked in our database, NationBuilder. Recruiting and training volunteer data coordinators to ensure the teams you work with are effectively maximizing the database.
- Working closely with volunteer leadership to coordinate events in new states. Recruiting and supporting volunteer house party team members by coaching them around: engaging house party hosts; setting up facilitators; using the current house party kit, materials, and schedule; ensuring information is tracked in the database; and connecting attendees with teams.
- Coordinating closely with the communications and digital teams to foster coordination among volunteers and teams and to amplify the stories of mothers and their families for purposes of education and public narrative impact.
- Participating in fundraising initiatives as needed, including working with Mothers Out Front development and membership staff to meet membership goals in new states. Providing relevant data for the development department and, as needed, attend fundraising events.
What we’re looking for in you:
- You have at least two years of experience in grassroots organizing, with a background entering new communities. You have experience figuring out who the key players in a new community are and building strategic relationships. Preference for experience in campaign setting.
- You are a team builder. You can recruit new volunteers and support the leadership development of members.
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills. You are comfortable spending a lot of time on the phone and video and and can build relationships in this setting. You have experience facilitating engaging and participatory meetings.
- You have demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, education, generational, political persuasion, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- You have a passion for mission-driven work.
- You have an understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the statewide and municipal level.
- You are highly creativity and flexible. You thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
- You can work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized. You have some experience working with databases.
- You can work occasional evenings and weekends and travel across the country as needed.
Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You will work from a home office and can be based anywhere in the country (with a preference for candidates based in CT, OH, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, VA, and Washington, DC). You will report to our Director of Expansion and Learning. This a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $40,000 to $51,500, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Timeline: We are accepting applications for this position through mid-December and hope to fill the position by mid-January. We have a thorough interview process which involves a phone interview, video interview, campaign exercise, reference calls, an in-person interview for candidates who continue to advance through the process. We also have a commitment to building up a sizable and diverse candidate pool before moving applicants to the final interview stages, which means there may be a delay in getting back to you. Our hope is that our process allows us to make the best possible decision and for you to learn more about us and appreciate your understanding if there is a delay at any point. We will do our best to keep you posted on your status throughout the process and ask that you stay in touch too.
To apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title in the subject line and include where you heard about the position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.