BE PART OF A HISTORIC DAY OF CLIMATE ACTION ON SEPT 8, 2018
This September, mothers around the country will come together to speak up for bold climate action by taking part in Rise for Climate, Jobs & Justice along with thousands of allies around the world. You don’t want to miss it!
Why join or organize a 9/8 event in your community?
The fossil fuel industry and its political allies are accelerating the extraction, transportation, and burning of gas and oil with great harm to families and communities today and to our collective future from water, air, and soil pollution and from climate change.
The leadership to transition to safe renewable energy and create a better future will come from the people who provide the political support for town and city councils, manager, and mayors, governors, and other state elected officials to pass laws to make it happen. Elected officials listen to moms because they know that we will do what is necessary to protect our kids -- including organizing and vote. We have a unique role to play in ensuring decision-makers act to transition off fossil fuels to renewable energy.
And now is the time to do so. On September 12-14, 2018, elected and business leaders will come together in San Francisco at a Global Climate Summit to work on the renewable energy transition and they need to have the people’s support in order to take bold action, and not just make empty promises.
You can join the movement to ensure moms speak out and are heard by decision-makers on this issue by joining an existing Rise for Climate, Jobs, and Justice Rally in your community or organizing your own, identifying yourselves as mothers.
How do I find an existing event or organize my own?
- Find out whether an Rise Event is already being organized in your community by entering your zip code here.
- If there isn’t one already happening and you’d like to organize your own sign up, do so here. Once you have signed up you can join a video call to get ideas and tips for how to organize and hear from other moms doing the same thing in their communities.
Here some ideas for how to join an existing rally representing moms:
- Reach out to other moms in your community to ask them to join you to go as a group to the rally. Consider bringing moms together a month to a few weeks before the rally at a house party to get to know each other, learn and educate each other about why moms have a particularly important role to play right now, and plan to go together.
- Make signs that clearly indicate you are moms and what you want decision-makers to do to ensure kids are safe from the harms of fossil fuels today and in the future.
- Wear Mothers Out Front t-shirts and carry a banner to rally/march to show you are part of a much larger movement of mothers calling for climate action.
- Take a PHOTO of your group of moms and send to us with one or two paragraphs telling us about your experience at email@example.com
- One the day let the world know you are raising your voice as part of this global movement by tweeting or facebooking photos and messages using these hashtags.
Tips for organizing your own 9/8 action/rally/march:
- Reach out to other moms in your community to ask them to join a planning team to plan this event with you.
Meet with your planning team to decide:
- Where you will rally/march
- At what time
- Find out whether you need a permit from your town or city and if so, apply for one as soon as possible
Decide what you will want to do at the rally/march:
- Will you have speakers, music, activities?
- What will your ask of decision-makers be?
- Who will be the photographer?
Make a plan of action (a to-do list!) and decide who will do what on your team. Who will work on:
- Recruiting other moms and allies? You may want a small group for this!
- Publicizing the event?
- Getting a permit if you need one?
- Ensure you have all the materials you need to make signs?
- Order t-shirts and a banner?
- Reach out to speakers and artists if you’re planning on having them?
- Reach out to other moms and allies in your community and ask them to join you to go as a group to the rally. Consider bringing moms together a month to a few weeks before the rally at a house party to get to know each other, learn, and educate each other about why moms have a particularly important role to play right now, and plan to go together.
- Publicize your event with flyers, an article in the local paper, social media posts, announcing it at community events.
- Sign up for a Mothers Out Front 9/8 Rally webinar to get some more ideas and support!