What is Mothers Out Front Leadership Academy?
Why Should You Join?
Mothers Out Front Leadership Academy is a supportive, online cohort of Mothers Out Front members dedicated to learning and deepening the skills we need to advance powerful climate justice work in our communities. You’ll learn how to build relationships that empower and how to create the change you want to see in the world. And you’ll be able to apply what you learn during the session to your own Mothers Out Front work in real time to make concrete progress toward your team’s goals.
By participating in the Academy, you can expect to:
- Deepen your understanding of climate justice and the individual and group practices that build a powerful movement
- Learn about Mothers Out Front’s approach to change making and organizing
- Develop your leadership skills
- Learn how to develop effective campaigns and build strong, interdependent teams to carry these out
- Connect with, and learn from, other emerging leaders in your state and across the country
- Take part in interactive and engaging online experiences
- Make progress toward your team’s goals
Who is it for?
This Academy is geared toward:
- Members of Mothers Out Front teams who wish to deepen their organizing skills and create stronger, more effective teams: Are you feeling stuck with the same small group of leaders shouldering all the work? Are you struggling with how to strategically move forward to achieve the change you seek? This training can help you reignite the fire within and learn how to inspire folks with willing hands and hearts to join your team and take action strategically. This Leadership Academy is designed to address the needs of seasoned Mothers Out Front members as well as newcomers.
- Members who would like to start new community teams to do campaign-based organizing in their city or county: You’ll learn how to create a solid foundation through the storytelling and relationship building work, and to take the next steps in launching your team through defining your team’s structure, strategy and campaign focus.
- Supporters of Mothers Out Front in areas without community teams who would like to support our statewide or national campaigns: Learn skills that you can leverage to help win our statewide, regional or national campaigns.
- For all: This is an opportunity to learn from experienced organizers and diverse members around the country who are at different phases of the organizing process—a place to reflect on your work and find strength in community.
When will it take place?
Our inaugural MOF Leadership Academy will take place from March 23 through May 22, 2021 (6 online sessions total). Click here to apply today. Applications are due March 12.
The training sessions will be held on Saturdays on Zoom from 10am-12:30pm PT/ 1-3:30pm ET on the following dates, with the prerequisite anti-oppression training on March 23rd 7:30-9pm ET / 4:30 – 9pm PT.
- March 23 – 7:30 to 9pm ET / 4:30 to 6pm PT (anti-oppression training)
- March 27- 10am to 12:30pm PT / 1pm to 3:30pm ET
- April 10- 10am to 12:30pm PT / 1pm to 3:30pm ET
- April 24- 10am to 12:30pm PT / 1pm to 3:30pm ET
- May 8- 10am to 12:30pm PT / 1pm to 3:30pm ET
- May 22- 10am to 12:30pm PT / 1pm to 3:30pm ET
What will I learn?
- Prerequisite anti-oppression training: Implicit/Explicit Bias: Did I Really Say That?
- Session 1: Introduction: Who is Mothers Out Front? What is our approach to change making? How are we building a representative movement (cross-race/ cross-class/ cross-other-differences) for climate and racial justice? What is the difference between mobilizing and organizing?
- Session 2: Storytelling: How do we craft and tell compelling stories of why we’re called to this work to inspire others to join us? How can you incorporate a Story of Self, Story of Us, and Story of Now to move others to action?
- Session 3: Structure & Strategy: How do we create interdependent, representative teams to share the work? How do we design effective campaigns to achieve our goals?
- Session 4: Relationships & Action: How do we invite others to take action with us and execute effective campaigns?
- Session 5: Celebration: What have we learned and accomplished over the past 2 months? Awarding of certificates to all graduates of our Leadership Academy.
Do I need to attend all sessions?
In order to receive the depth of learning we’re hoping for, all participants are asked to commit to all sessions. Certificates of completion will be awarded to those who attend at least four of the five sessions.
Who are the trainers?
The sessions will be led by a team of experienced Mothers Out Front trainers, both staff and member leaders. These include, but are not limited to:
- Kim Sudderth, Virginia Organizing Manager
- Linda Hutchins-Knowles, California Senior Organizer
- Vanessa Rule, Director of Learning
- Stephanie Bowman, Manager of Movement and Campaigns
- Kalin Jordan, Senior Gas Campaign Organizer
How do I apply and what is the cost?
Applications are due March 12th. Please click here to apply today.
Cost of the program is on a sliding scale from $50-250 depending on what you feel you are able to contribute. Note: there are scholarships available and no one will be turned away based on financial need.
Your Leadership Academy fee will automatically give you an annual membership to Mothers Out Front if you are not already a member.
We understand that many participants have children at home, and we welcome the presence of your children. If you need childcare in order to focus and fully participate in the Academy, we can provide a stipend to hire childcare.