GAS: NOT SAFE. NOT CLEAN. NOT GREEN.
The Gas Leaks Gazette #7
Newton, MA – January 2022
REPAIR, DON’T REPLACE
The Massachusetts gas pipe replacement program, originally designed to increase safety and reduce emissions, has become a massive boondoggle. Statewide, the average unit cost of replacing a mile of main is now $1.95 million.
A report commissioned by the Massachusetts Gas Leaks Allies, GSEP AT THE SIX-YEAR MARK, finds that Massachusetts’ program is not financially sound and is not meeting its goals to reduce leaks. The report recommends redirecting the GSEP to repair leaks and not waste funds replacing pipelines. Instead, utilities need to prioritize safety, fund an equitable energy transition for all and create quality jobs in clean renewable energy.
On the Gas Leaks Allies website you can find the video of a Mothers Out Front webinar and the following resources:
- Dr. Seavey’s full in-depth report, executive summary, and key findings
- Recommended policy changes
- An outline of our Triage and Transition strategy
- Learn about false solutions that extend our reliance on fossil fuels instead of investing in clean, renewable energy: Hydrogen Webinar Recording and a 2-page Fact Sheet.
Use Newton’s Gas Leaks Map to find large volume gas leaks (SEIs) polluting the air on your street or near your child’s school. See a Video of Newton’s SEI Leaks. Is there a large volume leak near you? (Note: SEI leaks are measured in the streets, not the buildings. They are identified by the nearest address.)
On November 17, 2021, twenty-one Mothers Out Front-Massachusetts chapters and allies delivered postcards from customers to the state’s three largest gas utilities. Participants crisscrossed the state from Pittsfield to Boston using electric vehicles, bikes, public transit, running and marching. The day of statewide action delivered over 3,000 postcards and copies of our Mothers Out Front Future of Clean Heat Platform to Berkshire Gas, National Grid, and Eversource, demanding that gas utilities commit to real climate solutions.
Mothers Out Front Newton contributed more than 300+ to NationalGrid delivery! Read more here.
NEWTON RALLIES FOR CLEAN HEAT
Watch Mothers Out Front in action at a November rally for Clean Heat!
For the past five years, Mothers Out Front Newton has been raising awareness of the hazards of leaking gas to our homes, our health, and our children’s future. Gas can cause explosions and fires, pollutes our air indoors and out, and kills our trees. Plus, the utilities charge us for the lost gas.
GOALS OF OUR ANNUAL GAS LEAK AWARENESS CAMPAIGN
- Education: Learn what’s under our streets. Learn about our gas pipelines, the waste and hazards of gas leaks, and promote efficiencies and clean energy.
- Advocacy: Fix the Leaks. Document the gas leak problem and promote state laws and local policies to fix the gas leaks.
- Activism: Build a strong local team taking action at the personal, neighborhood, city, state and national level for a livable future.
More links for busy advocates: