Parents Are on Climate Strike
Join Us in the Streets and Online
On November 29th and December 6th, youth in the United States and across the world are calling on people to take to the streets following a historic youth-led Climate Strike in September when millions of people left school and work to demand action on climate change.
Mothers Out Front will join the global climate strike and are asking all parents, aunts, uncles (and anyone who cares about children) to lift our children's voices. We will show the youth of the world that they are not alone. And when we're back at home, we will continue to hold all elected officials and business leaders responsible for doing all they can to ensure a swift and just transition to clean renewable energy.
As an intergenerational and intersectional movement, the November 29/December 6 Climate Strikes are another opportunity to count on our collective power in demanding immediate and decisive action, while continuing to expand the table of who is involved in the climate movement.
This toolkit has been created especially to support parents and grandparents who are concerned about our children's future and want to support actions and strikes in September. We will join the youth strikers fighting for a future for their generation, and demand action to avoid climate breakdown, end the extractive fossil fuel industry, and usher in a swift, just, and complete transition to clean renewable energy.
The Parent Constituent Support Group is coordinated by Mothers Out Front. Please contact Marnese Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute more resources and get involved.
WAYS TO PARTICIPATE:
- STRIKE WITH US! On November 29th and December 6th, we strike for our children's future! Locate a strike on the Climate Strike homepage and sign up.
- If there is not a strike scheduled in your area, host a strike.
- Post on social media using #ClimateStrike; #StrikeWithUs; #OurPledgeTheirFuture
ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
- If you have one minute, search for the #ClimateStrike; #StrikeWithUs; #OurPledgeTheirFuture hashtags and retweet and share posts.
- If you have two minutes, tweet using the hashtags #ClimateStrike; #StrikeWithUs; #OurPledgeTheirFuture and tag @MothersOutFront. You can write your own message or use our samples below.
- If you have five minutes, take a selfie with your kids and tweet it, explaining why you and your kids are striking. Or take a picture from your strike and share what's happening. Remember to use the hashtags #ClimateStrike; #StrikeWithUs; #OurPledgeTheirFuture and tag @MothersOutFront.
- If you have ten minutes, do all three and send your post and pics to email@example.com.
POST IDEA: The #ClimateStrikes will be an incredible, intergenerational moment when youth leaders ask us to come together. Let’s capture those moments. Parents, record interviews with your children describing how you got involved in the climate movement and why it’s important. Interviews can be a blog, audio, or video. If your commitments keep you from being able to join a strike, this is a great way to participate.
Share them on your Facebook and Twitter pages. Use the hashtags:
#ClimateStrike; #StrikeWithUs; #OurPledgeTheirFuture
OTHER SAMPLE POSTS:
- I’m striking because […enter your own reason]. Join me inNov 29-Dec 6 for the Global #ClimateStrike because it is #OurPledgeTheirFuture. #StrikeWithUs strikewithus.org
- Our children’s generation will be the one most impacted by #climatechange. Join us in calling for bold climate action now. Find a strike location near you: strikewithus.org #ClimateStrike #StrikeWithUs #OurPledgeTheirFuture
- Climate change is the biggest threat to our children’s right to a livable future. In Nov & Dec, youth across the U.S. will lead a #ClimateStrike to demand legislative action to combat climate change and parents will be standing with them #StrikeWithUs strikewithus.org
- On Nov 29 and Dec 6, families everywhere will walk out of their schools and workplaces to join young strikers in the streets. We know governments won’t deliver climate action and justice on their own, so we’re going on #ClimateStrike to show them what people power is capable of. #StrikeWithUs strikewithus.org #OurPledgeTheirFuture
- Injustice and greed created the climate crisis. The only way we can fight back is by fighting for a just and sustainable world that works for all of us. And it’s going to take all of us. Join me in a global #ClimateStrike Nov 29-Dec 6 #StrikeWithUs strikewithus.org #OurPledgeTheirFuture
- Climate breakdown isn’t inevitable. We know the solutions we need, and together, we have the power to make them happen. On Nov 29-Dec 6, join the global #ClimateStrike #StrikeWithUs strikewithus.org #OurPledgeTheirFuture
- We don’t work so hard to raise our children to be safe and happy so that their future can be threatened by greed and environmental injustice. We’re taking action Nov 29-Dec 6 to ensure all children’s right to a livable climate. Please join us at a #ClimateStrike near you. #OurPledgeTheirFuture strikewithus.org
GRAPHICS TO SHARE
All GRAPHICS: DOWNLOAD GRAPHICS & ART HERE or click the individual images below to download that image:
On the next two Fridays, November 29th and December 6th, young people are leading a #ClimateStrike for action on the climate crisis, the biggest threat to our future.
We, as a global society, are at a crossroads. We have a decision to make. Are we going to choose money or power or are we going to choose the future? This strike is an invitation to choose us. Choose the kids, choose humanity, choose the future.
Find a strike location near you and #StrikeWithUs: http://strikewithus.org
See the youth’s demands: strikewithus.org/#demands
RESOURCES FOR TEACHERS AND EDUCATORS
Teacher Climate resources from Bay Area
FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
THE GLOBAL CLIMATE AND HEALTH ALLIANCE