Woodbridge, VA- The moms’ climate group Mothers Out Front (MOF) Prince William County celebrated the approval of the boldest climate resolution ever passed by a local Prince William authority.
The resolution, which was drafted with significant input over the course of the year from MOF, the Greater Prince William Climate Action Network (GPWCAN) and youth group PWC Climate Action, was passed unanimously by the PWC School Board last night.
The respective climate groups advocated for several of the most significant actions included in the resolution:
- Recognizing climate change as a “worldwide threat with the potential to harm our economy, safety, public health, and quality of life” and planning to create “a long-term strategic plan to address sustainability concerns”;
- Directing staff to establish standards that include renewable energy and “provide options for design and construction of net zero buildings, including all new construction and major renovations over 10,000 square feet, as well as any major roof replacements”;
- Presenting the School Board with solar Power Purchasing Agreement (PPA) plans for all new construction, and retrofitting opportunities for older schools, where appropriate;
- Providing the cost of replacing all fossil fuel school buses with electric school buses;
- Establishing a Sustainability Advisory Committee, comprised of community members, staff, and students, that will provide the School Board with perspectives of all stakeholders;
- Requesting that the Prince William Board of County Supervisors creates a Joint Task Force on Sustainability in concert with the School Board; and
- Creating measurable standards of environmental literacy, to include a focus on sustainability for all K-12 students in PWCS.
In response to the resolution’s passage, Del. Elizabeth Guzman, who represents Virginia’s 31st District in the House of Delegates, said:
“As a mother, I want to commend the Prince William Chapter of Mothers Out Front and their coalition for their efforts to pass such a comprehensive climate resolution at the Prince William County School Board this evening. This is a perfect example of how grassroots efforts will continue to change the political landscape of this country.”