The Arlington Community Team is a group of mothers, grandmothers and caretakers who have come together to make climate change an issue that our leaders can no longer ignore. Along with a growing number of Mothers Out Front local groups in states around the country, we are building a powerful grassroots movement to ensure that our children have a livable future in the age of climate change.
Some of us have never been ‘activists’ before. We are learning that we have more power and can do more individually and together than we ever thought possible. If you want to take action with us, there is plenty of opportunity and a variety of ways for you to get involved. Please contact us so that we can connect with you at a house party, an event, or a one-on-one call or visit.
- DATE: Sunday, November 7
- TIME: 2:00pm – 3:30pm
- REGISTER HERE
Join the Arlington Chapter of Mothers Out Front for our next playgroup activity – a hike to Locke Pond through Wright-Locke Farm! We’ll explore some wildlife down by the pond and stop to visit any farm animals we meet along the way! As we hike, parents can learn more about Mothers Out Front and upcoming climate actions.
What have we done?
Since our founding in 2013, we have:
- Held 50+ house parties and switched hundreds of Arlington residents to green electricity
- Supported state-wide initiatives to halt fossil-fuel infrastructure, stop the building of gas pipelines, and demand that utilities fix dangerous gas leaks across the state
- Won the attention and respect of the Board of Selectmen and other town officials and groups for our hands-on work
- Initiated and supported the successful passage of a Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) warrant article in Arlington, which is now providing most Arlington residents with electricity that is generated by at least 5% more renewable sources than is currently required by the state of MA.
- Read the news article describing the success of Arlington’s CCA program.
- In September 2018, we organized “Paint the Town Green,” a large event to celebrate the 1st anniversary of CCA and to publicize the many things Arlington has done in the move to sustainability. Check out photos and a video from the event.
- In 2016 and again in 2018, we tagged hundreds of identified gas leaks in town, to raise awareness of the dangers of methane gas, and to demand that the utilities “Fix the Leaks First!” Read about gas leaks tagging and pipeline resistance actions here.
VIDEO: The Dangers of “Natural” Gas
Listen to pediatrician Dr. Curtis Nordgaard (introduced by Carol Chamberlain) discuss what is known, and what is not known, about the effects of natural gas delivery infrastructure on human health. Dr. Nordgaard was the keynote speaker of our Gas Educational Forum, held in Arlington’s Robbins Library on March 13, 2017.
Many thanks to Arlington Community Media, Inc. for videotaping the event and interview!
Visit our Facebook page!
VOLUNTEER WITH US
Join our Massachusetts mothers!